Party Vibe

Register

Welcome To

20 people at an indoor party to be illegal!

Forums Life Politics, Media & Current Events 20 people at an indoor party to be illegal!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • As part of the Anti-Social behaviour bill, the house of Lords last night passed an ammendment to the CJA (remember that?!) which does the following:

* Reduces the legal definition of a “rave” to be 20, not 100 people
    * makes indoor raves illegal
    * stops organisers moving on to second sites

The legal bumpf at:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200203/ldbills/108/03108.46-49.html#j6666

and the Hansard debate at:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld199900/ldhansrd/pdvn/lds03/text/31007-33.htm

Somebody better qualified than me can work out the legal & procedural nicities of this, but it doesnt look good.

Originally posted by Bassthang
    Somebody better qualified than me can work out the legal & procedural nicities of this, but it doesnt look good.

This bill is certainly a “warning shot” which shows the level of intolerance against our scene; but doesn’t actually change all that much.

Most raves have well over 100 people anyway; whether the cops go in heavy or not still depends partly on the whim of senior officers (who still have to authorise the CJA action) but also on available Police resources.

if the cops want to stop the backup party, they can just follow you about anyway or call the neighbouring force on the radio network – UK police are now getting new digital equipment which makes this very easy.

the amendments do not either change the “trigger” of CJA; in legal terms a senior police officer still has to justify that “serious distress” is being caused to non-participants. In most cases the benchmark is 3 locals calling the Police to report it, or the Environmental Health Officer of the local Council showing technical evidence of a noise or health hazard.

however, the changes could be more detrimental to the spring/summer outdoor party season; which has always had land use / class conflicts.

These are further exacerbated by the facts that more people attend parties these days, events go on for longer and most people travel to outdoor parties in motor cars and vans, which take up a lot of space on the roads! It soon becomes obvious to the locals they have been “invaded” – ravers are about as popular in an English country village as the British Army is in Basra….. (unless of course the younger villagers are themselves party people, which is sometime the case!)

This “middle england backlash” has caused a lot of pressure to be put on rural police forces and other authorities (such as councils) by the people living in the UK countryside, many of whom have money and power.

But in towns and cities the venues are buildings abandoned by corporate owners who no longer need them; in many cities there is far more commercial property than there is actually a market demand for!

Buildings are often left insecure and often semi-derelict as the cost of maintenance, and security (even paying the ‘phone bill to keep the burglar alarms comms line on) outweighs the potential revenue from the building as it stands! In many cases, the freehold owners only want to to strip and refurbish or even demolish the building and sell the land. Until such time as the building is ready for this work, it is not a great loss if squatters make use of it – although the owners will understandably take a dim view of wanton vandalism occuring as a consequence of a party.

A well chosen venue in a city is often a warehouse formerly used for heavy industry. This is designed for activities that potentially created a lot of mess and noise; and is in area of town well away from people. You can rinse it out in here without the locals being kept awake; as many in Reading last weekend found out 🙂

The “townie” pubs, clubs and the “bling bling” types who settle their disputes with firearms in city streets do not leave many spare resources available to “turn over” a rave; unless the organisers are unlucky, their security arrangements are compromised, or through foolishness or greed they permit a party to cause obvious trouble to “normal society”.

if a town party results in cars rat-running through residential streets at 4am, people forming a big suspicious looking queue outside a warehouse as the “door staff” are demanding money and creating a bottleneck, a new building is getting trashed big time or, fires or fights are happening which result in the attendance of other Emergency Services, it is obvious the old bill will try to put a stop to it!

Sadly, all these things have happened over the last few years and have been noted by “normal society”. That is one reason why these sort of laws get passed 🙁

This law can be got round by people and the scene evolving. If we want the parties to continue, we have to consdier the wider surroundings and consequences to an extent – and show “normal society” they are not “run by drug barons to corrupt your children.”, in other words, make them more inclusive social occasions; rather than “anti-social” ones!

I couldn’t say it better. In the Netherlands you see more and more squats organising art-exhibitions, jazz concerts and activities for the children in the afternoon, ending with a good party during the night. The locals have been listening to the Jazz concert with friends while the children were having the time of their life making sculptures or painting. So if they hear a bit of noise at night they will not call the cops to hassle the same people who gave them and their children such a nice afternoon. Give something to all the people, not just to the bassaddicts.

we’re all music lovers and dancers, so love all music with a different dance beat. If we can show the general populous that we are all accepting, artistic and above all positive peace lovers then we are more likely to solicit positive feedback from the local communities whose back yard we love to play in. Full weekenders could be more common if, as you suggested d0000b, we can include a wider range of activities and musical styles for all ages. They could become mini festivals, all that is required is hard work and an open mind. Anything is possible if we put our minds to it
    peace x

I wouldn’t worry too much about it bassthang… free parties have been illegal for years. Even before the CJA parties were getting busted (Castle Morton anyone?)

Plan your party well (see related threads on here), be fairly co-operative if the OB do arrive and experience tells me you’ll be fine.

These laws are pretty outrageous, however. 😡 Not to mention an affront to my integrity:mad: 😡

Talk about alienating young (and older) people from the democratic process.

A brilliant example of how it is possible for party crews to engage with wider society was the Guildford Ambient Picnic held earlier in the month (August 2004). Might be more difficult to get acceptance of all-night events due to the noise factor; but then again in Britain if you hold them out of the way and do not permit other kinds of anti-social behaviour (i.e the party is NOT a car cruise or a place to settle scores) then you stil seem to get left alone.

Originally posted by globalloon
    I wouldn’t worry too much about it bassthang… free parties have been illegal for years. Even before the CJA parties were getting busted (Castle Morton anyone?)

I think you mean “battle of the beanfield (1985?)” Castlemorton happened and AFAIK didn’t get busted (I was there!)

However it was because of Castlemorton that the government brought in the CJA; it was the backlash against middle england losing control of its own land for a whole week…

nah, that is dirty fucked up. the pigs dont want to stop raves, its too hard, they do want to be SEEN to shut em down, so now beware any sixteen year old havin a private party- the fuzz’ll be round, and you’ll be all over the papers come the morning….

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Originally posted by General Lighting
    I think you mean “battle of the beanfield (1985?)” Castlemorton happened and AFAIK didn’t get busted (I was there!)

However it was because of Castlemorton that the government brought in the CJA; it was the backlash against middle england losing control of its own land for a whole week…

I thought OB took DIY’s equipment at Castlemorton but had to give it back after years in court as no laws had been broken (not one complaint about noise, hence no peace had been disturbed)

Voices

Replies

Tags

This topic has no tags

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Life Politics, Media & Current Events 20 people at an indoor party to be illegal!