Party Vibe

Register

Welcome To

25 Years Fall of the Berlin Wall

Forums The Vibe Life & Soul 25 Years Fall of the Berlin Wall

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    • Staff

Really special day today :bounce_g:

It changed so many peoples lifes. Thank god it’s gone.

The 155km, 3.6-metre-high wall separated East and West Berliners for 28 years, from August 1961 until November 1989.Along its length were more than 300 watchtowers and 20 bunkers, thousands of soldiers, guard dogs, alarms, ditches to trap vehicles, and a no man’s land that varied in width from around 300 metres to the width of a street.
      Despite these preventative measures, many attempted to cross the wall. Exact numbers are uncertain but it is understood that around 5,000 people crossed the wall successfully and more than 130 died in the attempt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86862[/ATTACH]

In pictures: 25 years since the fall of the Berlin Wall – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I just remember seeing an article on this but never read it. Thanks for the link.

I remember Elton John writing that song about “Nikita” (who worked as a guard in the other side). The music video showed a female soldier [in inaccurate and obsolete uniform from WW II Soviet Union issue]; so the BBC totally overlooked the fact that Nikita is androgynous name that either gender can have :laugh_at:

I think it was a good thing the people there are free to travel but feel the whole lot was hijacked by the USA and capitalism forced on many of these areas; within years the progressive minded youngsters of the West were being undercut for wages by those of the East and a lot of their public funded projects were closed down.

for instance Deutsche Bundespost Telekom stopped with their apprenticeship scheme and started getting ready for privatization as they had loads of ready trained engineers from the East who were more willing to work longer hours for less pay.

I was in Berlin in 2001 settiing up some equipment for a Turkish TV station (they’d gone from 1980s Soviet Era stuff to modern digital control and were really happy with it)); they were across the border as its where the Alexanderplatz Telekom broadcast tower is. There was of course no more wall and the only remnants other than the tourist bits were that the traffic signals are different (the green man is fatter and wears a very Germanic hat) but I still very much felt I was in Soviet East Berlin; there was still a definite difference in the economy and simmering tensions (the TV station was guarded by a dude in a moustache with a Glock 17L pistol; this was apparently in case of trouble with skinheads – although thankfully there was none and he spent 15 minutes each day playing dominoes with the local policeman; they would put their Glocks on the table (it looked like a scene from some movie, though thankfully no one got shot and it may as much have been a gesture of peace and trust between the two of them as well as having the pistols close to hand if stuff did kick off.

Even so I did feel safer working in the half-built basement where the studios and TX playout were than hanging around the top levels (TV stations with news departments get attacked the world over; especially if they are smaller ones giving a voice to a minority).

Staff

Somebody always gains, good or bad, in occations like this. Not that I’ve seen anything like it in Europe before.

What I remember most is the families hugging again after have been seperated for many years.

The tears on their faces finding their loved ones, without risking getting shot. I remember the good things. (but I usually do)

Why waste your life remembering all the bad things that happened.

If you only live in the past there’s no room for growing and having a good future.
        I’m not saying we should forget, on the contrary, we should remember and make sure it never happens again.
        But we do, unfortanately, see it happen so many places in the world right now.

Think Israel should learn a lesson from history and stop treating the palestinians as the jews were treated during WW2.
        BBC News – Fatal Israel police shooting probed as video emerges

the day the wall fell is the day i came home from the hospital

What were you in for?

Staff

He was born?

Lol, I see.

ya’ll are funny, i was in a psych ward for my 22nd birthday though.

Sorry to hear that mate. I had my first stay in hospital around the age 22 as well. Few weeks after my son was born.

eh that was my 4th and final stay

Wow. I had another 4 stays after that but the last stay was around 8 years ago.

only real life goal now is to stay out all the way to the grave

Pretty reasonable ambition to have. Psych wards aren’t the nicest of places to be.

Voices

Replies

Tags

This topic has no tags

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums The Vibe Life & Soul 25 Years Fall of the Berlin Wall