Party Vibe

Register

Welcome To

5,000-year-old pay stub shows that ancient workers were paid in beer

Forums Life Money 5,000-year-old pay stub shows that ancient workers were paid in beer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • for most of the 20th century and even the early bit of the 21st British public service and utilities workers often had susbidised staff bars, it was still widely believed especially in London and the South East that drinking Thames water would make you ill whereas beer was safer and healthier :laugh_at:

Subscriber

thats a shame discover for the UK Folk, i always thought BEER had been discovered in UK and stolen by the Germans.

And i dont know where is mesopotamia, but sounds like the region of china?russia? maybe

anyway, didn’t know that beer has so old origins, thought the human were drinking wine …or water

Mesopotamia is Iraq, Jordan, Syria; those countries.

@iliesse 985166 wrote:

thats a shame discover for the UK Folk, i always thought BEER had been discovered in UK and stolen by the Germans.

Many of the modern British people are descended from Germanic tribes (the Queen’s family are part German, also consider that Nicola Sturgeon (First Minister of Scotland) looks like a younger sister of Angela Merkel).

Beer has always been popular across Northern Europe since ancient times – the British have always been good at brewing ale without adding CO2, chemicals etc to it as well as bitter but since 1970s UK brewers insisted on selling mass produced keg beer and more recently (particularly bad in the 1980s) awful over processed pilsener (“lager”) which has not even been properly stored and matured.

Thus beer in the UK gets a far worse reputation than it deserves (and in the 80s/90s we British would much rather take drugs than drink any of it). Luckily where I live there are many decent breweries who sell “real ale” in the pubs and even the bottled ale is not too bad. Any “lager” in cans brewed by UK breweries especially with a “foreign sounding” name is best avoided unless you are desparate.

Voices

Replies

Tags

This topic has no tags

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Life Money 5,000-year-old pay stub shows that ancient workers were paid in beer