Ravers ‘may have dehydrated’
By thisislondon – 29 June 2001
Two teenagers who died after an all-night rave in Southwark and were first thought to have been poisoned by rogue ecstasy tablets, may have been killed by extreme heat and dehydration, it emerged today.
Murder squad detectives are investigating the deaths. However, police said this afternoon that tests showed the batch of ecstasy did not appear to be contaminated.
Steven Brett from Surrey and Bret Gilkes from Birmingham, both 19, died after attending the Drome nightclub last Saturday. Another teenager who went to the club is critically ill in hospital.
A police source said: We are investigating a number of possibilities. We know it was extremely hot in the club and there was extreme overcrowding. We are not sure the right procedures were followed in these circumstances.
Police issued an urgent health warning to hundreds of revellers who attended the 13-hour rave, amid fears that many more could have fallen seriously ill.
The organisers of a similar rave planned for this week have cancelled the event.