From the Ipswich journal of 1762-04-10
original web source
thats quite spectacular TBH…
Mr Powell, the celebrated Fire-Eater from London, will perform at the King’s Arms, Colchester, in the Easter-Week, and no longer.
He intends to exhibit the following Articles:
1. He eats red-hot Coals out of the Fire as natural as Bread.
2. He licks with his Tongue red-hot Tobacco-Pipes flaming with Brimstone.
3. He takes a large bunch of Deal-Matches, lights them all together and holds them in his Mouth till the flame is extinguish’d.
4. He takes a red-hot Heater out of the Fire, licks it with his naked Tongue several Times, and carries it round the Room between his Teeth.
5. He fills his Mouth with red hot Charcoal, and broils a Slice of Beef or Mutton upon his Tongue, and any Person may blow the Fire with a Pair of Bellows at the same Time.
6. He takes a Quantity of Rosin, Pitch, Bees-wax, Sealing-wax, Brimstone, Allum, and Lead, melts them over a Chaffing-dish of Coals, and eats the said Combustibles with a Spoon, as natural as a Porringer of Broth, (which he calls his Dish of Soup) to the great Surprise of the Spectators.
This topic has no tags